Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don Guillett Don Guillett is offline

Default Omitting right part of text string

I see your point under the cited circumstances. Good thinking

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
I tacked on the "(" to protect the formula from the #VALUE! error if the
cell contents were empty or if the text did not contain a "(" character in
it. I was sort of anticipating the OP would be copying the formula down.

Rick

"Don Guillett" wrote in message
a tiny bit shorter.
=LEFT(a1,FIND("(",a1)-1)
=LEFT(A1,FIND("(",A1&"(")-1)

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
Give this a try (assuming your text is in A1)...

=LEFT(A1,FIND("(",A1&"(")-1)

Rick

"klysell" wrote in message

I want to omit the right part of a text string that starts with "(" and
ends
in ")" while returning the left part of the text string. I would have a
cell
that contains a name such as "Lysell, Kent". Right after this name a
number
in parenthesis is concatenated. For example, I would need to return only
"Lysell, Kent" from "Lysell, Kent(111)". This number might be 1 to 4
digits
long. Is there a formula that would omit this number in parethesis -
including the parenthesis - while returning just the name?

Thanks in advance!
--
Kent Lysell
Financial Consultant