Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Leslie W. Leslie W. is offline

Default converting

I have had this same problem in the past.

Data Get External Data From Text

Then you can pull in your .CSV file. It will walk you through on how you
want your text to be imported (how it understands columns, either delimited
or Fixed Width). After that, you can tell it how to interpret the data type
of the column. Change that to "Text." Then, it will import as text and keep
the leading zeroes.

I haven't had good luck with changing the column type to text in Excel, that
was the only way I was able to pull it off.

Good luck.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Don't reopen the .csv file in excel. That's what's losing the leading zeros.

Use Notepad to verify that your .csv file is correct.

csmith wrote:

I have placed leading zero in my excel doc and try to save as CSV file it
drops my leading zero even when I put the leading zero back into the CSV file
it will not save. Any suggestions?
--
csmith

--