Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
MartinW MartinW is offline

Default counting number of values

Hi Mark,

Try this,

Go to DataFilterAdvanced filter
Check copy to another location
Set your list range ($A$1:$A$100 e.g.)
Set your copy to location ( just a single cell, $B$1 e.g.)
Check unique records only and OK out

put this formula in C1 and drag down as far as is needed
(or just double click on the fill handle)
=COUNTIF(A:A,B1)

HTH
Martin

"Mark" wrote in message
Hi, I am glad I have discovered this post, because I am new to excel and
on a
steep learning curve due to the requirements of my work.
I have a large one-column list of values which includes duplicate values.
would like to calculate and display the number of times each value
occurrs.
for example.
1
2
4
4
6
The result should display something like 1=1, 2=1, 4=2, 6=1.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks. Mark =)