Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Don Guillett Don Guillett is offline

Default Workbook going bad?

Probably design the program so that only ONE sheet is necessary with data
imported/exported as needed.????
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Linda RQ" wrote in message
Would you create a separate file for each sheet? Is there a way to create
an index and hyperlinks to them then? I am just brainstorming here, I
tend to work in word and access mostly.

Linda

"Don Guillett" wrote in message

When you say 110 worksheets, it suggests poor design.
Maybe formatting unnecessary cells. ctrl+end to see where cursor goes.
etc.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Linda RQ" wrote in message

"CLR" wrote in message
36meg is large..........I've used 20meg successfully
I've never seen a workbook with 110 sheets.........I can't imagine the
organization......
It is basically a glorified document with each step in the procedure in
a row with borders to help with readability. Each competency is a
worksheet. They like it because they can find the sheets they need
easily by searching the tabs at the bottom. They use to scroll foever
until I read on this group about R clicking on the record selectors to
get it in ABC order and shown as a list so I am already a hero!

The error message says "out of diskspace"........is it?

No, it is a network drive that is in the terabyte range.

Do you have plenty of RAM?

Hmm...maybe not. I'll check tomorrow when I go in to work.

Do you have trouble with any other Excel files on that computer........

No but they are not that large.

You say the file works ok on another computer......this would indicate
the file is not at fault.

That's what I thought but still think this file is a corruption waiting
to happen.

Do you have the same trouble if you download the file to your Hard Disk
and
run it from there?

We can't download anything to our hard disk. Everything is on a server
in another city for security purposes.

Is there a way in excel to make an index and perhaps have subsheets like
you can with word and the subdocument feature?

Congrats on surviving your CABG x 3!

Answers please....
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Linda RQ" wrote in message
Hi Everyone,

Using Excel 2003 at the moment. We have an excel workbook that was
probably
started in excel 97 or 2000. It is 36,560kb in size and has 110
worksheets.
The file is our competency check offs. Some of these include pictures
which
were not compressed so that increases the file size.

We are beginning to have problems with it. It takes a long time to
open
up
at times. Different problems occur at different times and on
different
PCs.
Not sure if this has any relation but....I work for a large hospital
and
we
have Windows 2003 server, just upgraded our intranet to Sharepoint.
One
of
the errors that comes up is out of diskspace then the PC freezes and I
am
asked to debug something and I finally have to ctrl+alt+del my way
out.
The
IS network person said it was a system problem. I am not sure he is
correct
because if I log on to another PC and open the file it works, so I am
thinking it's PC related but the size of the file worries me too.

Is there a way to split this file or is that an ok file size for a
workbook?

Thanks,
Linda