Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default range usage question

=MAX(IF(B1:B1000="word",A1:A1000))

which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
just Enter.
Excel will automatically enclose the formula in braces (curly brackets), do
not try to do this manually.
When editing the formula, it must again be array-entered.

You cannot use a whole column in array formulae (prior to excel 2007), but
must use an explicit range.

--
---
HTH

Bob

"jzingman" wrote in message
I want the maximum of column A when column B contains a certain word. I
tried
=max(A:A*(B:B="word"))

but get 0. Thinking that the B reference was the problem, I tried

=max(B:B="word")

and get 0, although if I choose a cell that contains word,

=max(B5="word")

I get 1. So clearly I don't know how to do this reference. What's the
right way?

Thanks