Mind the gaps!

Default How can I edit cell contents with a macro in Excel?

I'm trying to creat an Excel macro that edits cell data, remembering the
edits, not just the resulting value or formula. If, for example, I want to
delete all but the last three characters of a cell value, and I record a
macro, editing the cell produces a line like: ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "745".
But I don't want the specific value. I want the process.

I'm essentially asking for RIGHT(R1C1,3), but I can't use that formula in
the macro because it would be a circular reference. What am I missing?