Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default vlookup 2 criteria

If you have lots of columns and want to select records based upon criteria in
several of the columns, strongly consider using AutoFilter. This technique
will allow you to pick criteria on some or all of the columns and find only
the records that match all the criteria.

see:

http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter01.html
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200764

"Lost in Microbiology" wrote:

I have a list (~1500 entries) that I need to match patients with their
specimen. The problem comes where a single patient will have multiple
entries. Then it only finds the first occurrence and not a subsequent sample.

Is there an if then statement or a way to use 2 columns for criteria in a
vlookup? I want to match a patient medical record number and a received date
tofind the result.

Here is an example of my data:
Name MRN Accession Rec Date Final Result
John Doe 12345 07-000-0001 1/1/2007 No Virus
John Doe 12345 07-020-0000 1/20/2007 RSV
Jane Doe 3456 07-000-0002 1/1/2007 No Virus

I have 2 lists like this, one for one procedure and another for another
procedure, and I have to match the information to determine specificity of
the tests. Any help is greatly appreciated!