Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary Gary is offline

Default Removing Spaces

Hi Jim,

I have just realised there is probably an easier way to do this.

I am using a cmd prompt command to make a .txt file of all my karaoke music:

dir *.mp3 list.txt /s /b

But the results give me too much information:

c:\documents and settings\gary\my documents\my karaoke\ARTIST\ARTIST -
SONG (CDG).mp3

Thus far I have been opening this file with MS Word to 'find and replace'
"c:\documents and settings\gary\my documents\my karaoke\" and "_(CDG).mp3"
which leaves me with:

ARTIST\ARTIST - SONG

I then save it and open this new '.txt' file in Excel and use the "\" as the
delimiter so "ARTIST" is listed in column A and "ARTIST - SONG" is listed in
column B. I then deleted column A, and save the remaining "ARTIST - SONG"
information back to a .txt file.

I open this new file, but this time I use the "-" as the delimiter to give
"ARTIST" and "SONG" in columns A and B. (this is where my orginal question
came in about how to remove the spaces this created in the "SONGS" column).

Is there a way I can open the original list.txt file in excel and use a
macro to do all of this for me?

Many thanks
Gary