Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
joeu2004 joeu2004 is offline

Default Calculating quarterly investment returns---XIRR or anotherfunction??

On Jan 7, 1:40*pm, "Carl LaFong" wrote:
What I DO need is a method that mirrors the Vanguard example such that a
hypothetical 10k beginning balance x q1 x q2 x q3 x q4 gives the same result
as a hypothetical 10k beginning balance x XIRR annual rate (20.11 in this
particular case).

10K(!)? Well, you do say "hypothetical" 10K. If this is for a class
or for your personal edification, fine.

But if this for a real 10K, you should not rely on this newsgroup
(some might say any newsgroup) for professional information that can
have major financial or legal consequences. You have no idea of the
qualifications (or not) of the people who are posting responses, no
matter what they claim.

For a real 10K, you should consult a CPA. If you are that CPA, you
should be able to get dispositive advice from either the SEC or the
FASB.

(You might try posting to misc.taxes.moderated. Many participants
claim to be CPAs. But bear in mind that many other participants are
not; and again, anyone can claim to be anything on the Internet.)

PS: misc.taxes.moderated participants often deprecate comments
specific to an application like Excel. I would avoid reference to
XIRR per se, and simply form the question in terms of "the IRR, which
takes actual dates of transactions into account".