Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
RichardSchollar[_2_] RichardSchollar[_2_] is offline

Default How do I set an average to not count blank cells as zeros?

Hi

The AVERAGE function itself will ignore blanks or text in the average
range so you should be able to use:

=AVERAGE(I15:AH15)

Since zero values won't have affected your summation in the first
place, I am struggling to understand exactly what the problem was you
were experiencing - was it a case that I10 contained a formula along
the lines of COUNT(I15:AH15)? This won't count blanks either, but it
will count zero values (they are different).

Richard

On 7 Jan, 01:30, athenia_1999
wrote:
I am trying to use Excel for a grade book, but can not figure out how to get
the average function to not count blank cells as zeros. The following
function is in the Averages column:

=(IF(SUM(I15:AH15),ROUND(SUM(I15:AH15)/$I$10,2),""))

the average is displayed as a percent.