Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Tyro[_2_] Tyro[_2_] is offline

Default Formula Help Please

You formula produces #N/A if all 12 entries are blank. He's referring to the
description of #N/A

"T. Valko" wrote in message
"A value is not available to the formula or function".

Hmmm...

I've never seen that error before so I really don't know what it means.

the double quotation marks inside the final parentheses. What do they
mean?

They are used to return a blank *until* a number 0 is entered in the
range. If you want some other result just replace the "" with whatever you
want. Just remember that if you want some TEXT value returned to enclose
the TEXT string in quotes like this:

=IF(COUNTIF(A1:L1,"0"),LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:L10),A1:L1),"no data")

If you want a 0 returned then you don't need the quotes:

=IF(COUNTIF(A1:L1,"0"),LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:L10),A1:L1),0)

I've slightly changed the formula to:

=IF(COUNTIF(A1:L1,"0"),LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:L10),A1:L1),"")

Here's a very small sample file that demonstrates this:

lastnum.xls 14kb

http://cjoint.com/?bghmSfGDPm

Enter some numbers (0) replacing the 0s and you'll see that it works.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Ken" wrote in message
Thank you all for your responses.

FSt1 Entries in cells will not change

HTH Your formula returns the error "A value is not available to the
formula or function".

Tyro The formula works very well . Thanks. If you have the time, and
inclination, would you post a word description of the formula - I cannot
follow it entirely.

Biff The three answers are 'no', but your formula returns the same
error
"A value is not available to the formula or function". I tried to follow
it
through but stumbled on the double quotation marks inside the final
parentheses. What do they mean? Should they have something between them?

Regards, Ken