Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Import .csv File Problems

Excel is trying to "help" you. To avoid this help, rename the file to .txt
rather than .csv

This will bring up the Imporet Wizard when you open the file with Excel.
Just tell the Wizard to treat the field as Text rather than General.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200763

"Dalene" wrote:

Hi,

I hope you can assist me. We have 2 problems with uploading data into Excel
from a .csv file:

1) Numbers longer than 11 digits - in this case vehicle part numbers €“
upload automatically in scientific format. As a result the part number gets
distorted and the user can not read the correct number in the cell. For
instance 8566463565562550 upload as 8.56646E+15.

2) Numbers with leading zeros are uploaded without the leading zeros, i.e.
0000001033 upload as 1033. The leading zeros must remain once imported.

Kind regards,

Dalene Bekker
Johannesburg, South Africa