Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ShaneDevenshire ShaneDevenshire is offline

Default #Value!

Hi,

If there are any spacebars in any of the cells referenced by your formula
you will get a VALUE error because you are trying to multiple:

C8*'Data Tables'!B3
'Driver Input Form'!D8*'Data Tables'!C3
'Driver Input Form'!E8*'Data Tables'!D3
'Driver Input Form'!F8*'Data Tables'!E3
'Driver Input Form'!G8*'Data Tables'!F3
'Driver Input Form'!H8*'Data Tables'!G3
'Driver Input Form'!I8*'Data Tables'!H3

To find the problem do the following:
1. On the formula bar select one of the portions of the formula that I have
broken out above and press F9. If that portion of the formula is the problem
then go to the two cell and make sure they contain nothing (no spacebars) and
no text entries, for example a formula that evaluates to "" will cause a
problem.

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"phowe43" wrote:

Thanks all...it's a lengthy formula and there may have been an easier way to
do it but I'm somewhat a novice. So here's the formula.

=(C8*'Data Tables'!B3+'Driver Input Form'!D8*'Data Tables'!C3+'Driver Input
Form'!E8*'Data Tables'!D3+'Driver Input Form'!F8*'Data Tables'!E3+'Driver
Input Form'!G8*'Data Tables'!F3+'Driver Input Form'!H8*'Data
Tables'!G3+'Driver Input Form'!I8*'Data Tables'!H3)

So what happens is that C8 - D8 - E8 (etc.), are referencing a table with
defined values from a different page...and then I'm simply trying to total
the values. Again what happens is that unless there is some value (including
a zero) in the cell (C8 - D8 etc.), I get the #Value! error.

Thanks again.

"ShaneDevenshire" wrote:

Hi,

"A7 is the sum of A1:A5 "

I think you had better show us the actual formula that is returning #VALUE
since the SUM function will not do this if a cell in the sum range is empty.
SUM does treat an empty cell as 0.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"phowe43" wrote:

e.g., if A7 is the sum of A1:A5 but there is no character in cell A2, how can
I avoid the #Value! error without having to manually type in a "0" value. In
other words, the calculation does not recognize the blank cell as an
automatic "0" value.

I appreciate your help.