Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
soilcon1 soilcon1 is offline

Default Fix EXACT function so it always compares in the same row.

I am using the EXACT function in column B to compare if information in column
A is the same as column C on a spreadsheet. If it is not, I am inserting
cells above all the data in column C until I find a match with column A.
What is happening is that the EXACT function seems to stay fixed with it's
original cell in column C. Example:

A1=apple, C1=orange, B1=EXACT(A1,C1) results in FALSE

But, A2=orange and C1=orange, so I insert a cell above the cell in C so that
it becomes C2. So now:

A2=orange and C2=orange. But the EXACT function in column B in row 2 now
says:

B2=EXACT(A2,C3). C3=banna, so the result if False.

I want the function to remain B2=EXACT(A2,C2), NOT change to C3.

When more data is entered into the rows A and C later, I need to be able to
fill the EXACT formula down, so I don't think I can use $. I don't want to
enter the function individually into each cell in column B.

Any ideas?