Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default SUM function working improperly

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 17:58:00 -0800, streaker6
wrote:

I have a function that is =SUM(A32:A113) in cell K194, simple right? Well not
so much, it should be totalling up 67 and is showing 48, if I try to change
the formula, the formula is what shows in cell K194...what's going wrong? I
have other formulas giving me the same problems in the worksheet.

Thanks

Most likely there is a problem with your data. What you describe can occur if
some of your values are really text that look like numbers. SUM will ignore
text.

Changing the format will not change the nature of the original entry, either,
so far as whether or not it is text.

You can verify this, I think, by entering this formula:

=SUMPRODUCT(--A32:A113)

If you get the correct answer, then either you entered constants when the cells
were formatted as Text; or you have formulas which are returning numeric values
as text.

If you get an error of #VALUE!, then possibly you copied some of the data from
a web page, and there are trailing <nbsp's that effectively make the entry
Text.

Post back with the test results.
--ron