Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Date format defaults to Custom

Have you looked at the default date formats set up in your Windows Regional
Options?
--
David Biddulph

"JohnL" wrote in message
Thanks for responding, Shane.

I understand that even tho it is a "custom" format, it is still a date
format, just not the one I want.

What I end up doing is FormatCellsNumberDate and choosing 3/14/01.
I do a lot of uploading of spreadsheets to Access tables and this is a
date
format that seems to work well.

In EXCEL can I have this format (3/14/01) as the default date format so
that
when I enter 1/3 into the cell it returns as 1/3/08 and not 3-Jan?

Thanks

John

"ShaneDevenshire" wrote:

Hi John,

How do you want the date to appear in the cell?

The Custom format you are getting is a custom date format, so it is a
date
format. If what you want is that date format should appear in the Date
category of the Format Cells dialog box rather than Custom, that's a
problem.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"JohnL" wrote:

Whenever I enter a date into a cell, such as 1/2, for Jan 2, 2008,
(appearing
as 2-Jan in the spreadsheet, but showing as 1/2/2008) the cell format
is a
"Custom" format.
Where can I change the setting (??) so that whenever I enter 1/2, the
format
is a "Date" format, not a Custom one?