Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Enquire Enquire is offline

Default How do I find age in years from anniversary date (Age funtion)?

I need to calculate age given birth-date.

First, I tried
=YEAR(NOW())-YEAR(cell ref with birthday)

This works, but (of course) the resulting year rolls-over on January 1, not
on the actual birthday.

I searched for "Age function" but (aside from Access) the closest I could
find was:

"How to calculate ages before 1/1/1900 in Excel" (Q245104)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/245104/en-us

Well, I am not dealing with dates before 1900, but I tried it anyway (even
though I could not believe I needed a VB script to do this)

I created the VB script "AgeFunc" and then adapted the formula

=AgeFunc(startdate,enddate)

=AgeFunc(YEAR(NOW()),YEAR(AE353))

Where AE353 is the cell reference with the birth-date.

However, this returned the error #VALUE!

This is such a basic function ... one of the first "functions" that toddlers
understand ... how come I can't do this in Excel?!?

Surely there is a built-in "AgeFunc" in Excel ... can anyone help?!?

Thanks in advance