Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Jill33 Jill33 is offline

Default sorting formulas with cells

Great--thank you! That worked!

"FSt1" wrote:

hi
if you are using a simple formula like =sum(c1+c2) then you will get that.
the above formula evaluated cells not data in the cells.
so you will need to use another type formula'

=SUMIF(B1:B4,"Washington",C1:C4)

or sumif(range to evaluate,criteria, range to sum)

regards
FSt1

"Jill33" wrote:

I'm having trouble with what seems like an easy problem. How come when I
sort my data, the forumlas I have in it don't stay relative? For example, I
have

Seattle Washington 14
Olympia Washington 27
Dallas Texas 8
Austin Texas 11

I've got the Washington numbers adding and the Texas numbers adding at the
bottom of my page (C1+C2). But when I sort to alphabetize the city, the
formula is still adding C1+C2, not Seattle + Olympia.

Austin Texas 11
Dallas Texas 8
Olympia Washington 27
Seattle Washington 14

How do I keep the formula linked to the contents, and not the cell location?

Thanks!