Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dana DeLouis Dana DeLouis is offline

Default A "chessboard" problem

With just 22 items being scattered around 64, it sounds to me like the
number of Permutations.

=FACT(64) - 1.26887E+89

all possible deployments of these 22 pieces (sets of 22 numbers)

Sounds like it could be Chess pieces, or maybe not.
We would need more info.
--
Dana DeLouis

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote in message
9E+37 if each of the 22 pieces are unique.
The OP didn't make it clear whether he wanted to distinguish between 8
white pawns, or between 2 black rooks, or between 2 white bishops (with
the interesting complication that the OP said he didn't want to
distinguish between black & white squares, which would normally
distinguish the 2 white bishops).
Nor did he make it clear which 22 of the original 32 pieces he has.
--
David Biddulph

"joeu2004" wrote in message
Errata....

On Dec 25, 12:43 pm, I wrote:
There are about 8E+16 ways of arranging 22 pieces on an 8x8 board.

Actually, I think the number is 9E+37. Either way, it's a b-i-g
number.