Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Bupkus Bupkus is offline

Default I want to create a check list with a count of entries at botto

Before this post I tried "custom" =NOT("X") and it taught me to try =("x").
It worked until I tried to paste special "validation". Then all other cells
failed to work.

"Susan" wrote:

yes.... up in the toolbar - Data - Validation

use "allow custom" & set the box at the bottom called "formula" to be

="x"

so it has to be that. then there's a tab where you can write a
warning message telling people that only an "x" can be entered there.

then you can copy that cell to all the other cells at the row/column
junction where you would want an "x".

i'll whip up that macro just in case you decide you want it on
wednesday (i don't have internet @ home, sorry). if you don't, no
problem, i like to write macros. :D
susan

On Dec 24, 4:19 pm, Bupkus wrote:
Correction: Validation against anything except "x" is what I meant.

"Bupkus" wrote:
That's great, thanks.
However, how can I restrict the user from accidently entering a space char
or any other char while I'm asking. I would like a Verification warning
atleast.
BTW, no row totals in right most column is needed.
Thanks again.

"Susan" wrote:

just put an "x" in each activity column/row.
at the bottom of each column (or at the end of each row, if you'd
rather) have a counta formula:

=counta(a2:a25)

that will give you the # of x's in each row.
OH WAIT, that won't work. because it will also count the wording
you've got there for either name or activity........

try this instead:

=countif(a2:d2,"x") this is for rows
=countif(a2:a25,"x") this is for columns

now it will only count the x's.
hope it helps (or at least gets you started!)
:)
susan

On Dec 24, 3:52 pm, Bupkus wrote:
I have a table of 25 columns and a variable number of rows. Each row
represents a person and each column represents an activity. If person has
requested an activity then user mouse clicks in cell to mark person to that
activity. Bottom row has totals for each activity.
I would like a checkbox matrix where cells with checked box are counted in
the Totals row.
I'm over my head here and time doesn't allow for me any more research.
Thanks.- Hide quoted text -