Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ksmek ksmek is offline

Default Excel 2007 always opens in Compatibility Mode

Have you tried deleting his old template or replacing it with one in the
XLSX format?

I can try that but I wasn't sure how to find a template, what is the
extension I'd look for? Chip asked me to look for .xlt's - there were not
any, not sure if that's a template.

I did a Save and also SaveAs on book1, but all that does is let me save a
local book1.xlsx and doesn't resolve the issue.

like his "Book1" template got overwritten as a 2003 .xls template

--
Jim