Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default Filename extract from Filepath Text String

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 07:07:01 -0800, DaveyC
wrote:

Hi

I am trying to find a simple formulaic way of extracting the filename from a
filepath. I have looked at the Text related functions in Excel and they all
appear inapplicable due to the variable nature of filepaths i.e. the number
of sub-folders and the variation in naming of all elements. As an example
see below:

C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\My Local
Data\Graduation\campusmap.pdf

From the above I would want to extract just: campusmap.pdf

I have tried to locate the position of the final \ and use that as the key
to extract the filename but I am struggling to define this despite reading
all related posts on the subject. Any help very much appreciated.

Best regards
Dave

with your full path in A1:

=MID(A1,1+FIND(CHAR(1),SUBSTITUTE(A1,"\",CHAR(1),
LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"\","")))),255)

will return everything after the last "\"

--ron