Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
lawson lawson is offline

Default A function to Turn Formula into Text?

Hello, as an engineer, I often have to show a formula from a book in one
cell, show the formula with my values in it in the next cell, then show the
calculated value in the third. Creating the second cell is a real pain and
very time consuming. Is there an excel function that will read the formula in
a cell and turn it to text? see example below:

vc = (2+y)*SQRT(f'c)
(2+1.82)*SQRT(5*1000)
270.04

Typed: (2+y)*SQRT(f'c)
Typed: ="(2+"&FIXED(D31)&")*SQRT("&D8&"*1000)"
Typed: =(2+D31)*SQRT(D8*1000)

If the third cell were able to read the text in the second, and calculate
the result without the need to retype the formula (or visa versa), a lot of
time could be saved, especially for a more complicated calculation.