Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Buck[_2_] Buck[_2_] is offline

Default Several files opening at once

I have a shortcut on my Quick Launch bar to a file called Index.xls wherein other hyperlinks take me to a zillion other places as
a means of organisation of my computer data.

For a couple of months I've been finding that whenever I click Index.xls another file called PERSONAL.XLS opens as well (or in
fact momentarily before). I don't know why this is happening. As far as I know I did not change anything that might cause this
phenomenon.
I located PERSONAL.XLS and changed the filename to PERSONAL.XL1 to see if that might prevent it from opening, but now I have
PERSONAL.XL1, PERSONAL.XLS, and Index.xls all opening at once so I guess I shot myself in the foot for that one ...lol.

I would really appreciate someone explaining to me what's going on and how I can rectify the situation.
Thank you.

Buck