Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Text string extraction

Try this UDF:

Function first_to_third(r As Range) As String
s = Split(r.Value, ".")
first_to_third = s(1) & "." & s(2)
End Function

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200761

"Geoffric" wrote:

Can anyone suggest a €śone-stop€ť formula to extract partial data from a
string. I can do it in perhaps two/three steps, but I havent fathomed how to
do it in one step. If the following data is in column A, from A2 down€¦.:

IC.0.0.863259.0.0.0
IC.0.Z28002.163119.0.0.0
IC.ITME.G80101.567149.0.0.0
IC.ITSE.0.769348.0.0.0
IC.SSSKP.G90312.567149.0.0.0

€¦.I would like to extract the information between the first full stop and
the third full stop, so that the result in column B2 down is as follows:

0.0
0.Z28002
ITME.G80101
ITSE.0
SSSKP.G90312

The difficulty I am facing is that the element after the first full stop can
be any length from 1 character to 5 characters, and the element after the
second full stop can be up to 6 characters in length.

Geoff