Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Stephen[_2_] Stephen[_2_] is offline

Default Vlookup and Index...formula help

But why "F:G"? The formula you said you were using has "AA:AA".

"Jambruins" wrote in message
I just tried using vlookup (=VLOOKUP(AA3,NYI!F:G,2,0) and it worked so the
text is the same.

"Jambruins" wrote:

Stephen, I just check the match by highlighting it and hitting F9. That
came
up as #N/A. I checked the text in cell AA3 and the text in the
corresponding
tab and it appears to be the same. I used the code formula on both cells
and
they both were 68 which I am assuming means they are the same. Any
ideas?
Thanks.

"Stephen" wrote:

Which part of the formula is not working: MATCH or INDEX?
To find out, highlight (exactly)
MATCH(AA3,INDIRECT(W3&"!AA:AA"),0)
in the formula bar and press F9. If this shows a number, this part of
the
formula is working; if it shows #N/A it is not finding a match. Press
ESC to
get out of this mode.

Your MATCH is looking for an exact match on a text string. If AA3 and
the
entry in NYR!AA:AA differ in any respect (even by a space character),
it
will fail to find a match.

"Jambruins" wrote in message
Bob, any idea why I am getting a #N/A error? Thanks.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=INDEX(INDIRECT(W3&"!W:W"),MATCH(AA3,INDIRECT(W3&" !AA:AA"),0))

--
---
HTH

Bob

(there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in
my
addy)

"Jambruins" wrote in message
I have a bunch of tabs in my spreadsheet and each one is named
after a
team
(i.e. BOS, NYR, VAN, etc.). In column AA I have text and in
column W I
have
team names. I would like a formula to lookup the text in column
AA in
the
tab of the team that is in column W. For example in cell AA3 I
have
Dec
18-Pittsburgh and in cell W3 I have NYR. I would like a formula
find
the
text Dec 18-Pittsburgh in the NYR tab and give me the value of the
cell
4
columns over. Thanks in advance.