Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Anders Anders is offline

Default Excel Format

Yep, know that I can do that. But that just gets annoying, cause then I have
to reduce one and one character untill I get it right.

For now the best way seems to be to put 15 X in a column and then using
"insert" but I find that type to many and or forget to pres F2 and home....
And need to count the characters anyways.

Hope there is a solution, I know that I have seen the function before but
maybe it was in Access?

--
Regards Anders

"Stephen" wrote:

I don't know that it's possible to do exactly what you ask. However, have
you seen the "Input Message" and "Error Alert" tabs on the Data Validation
pop-up window? If you enter an Input Message (for example, "Max 15
characters"), this will pop up next to the cell whenever it is selected.
Alternatively (or additionally), an Error Alert will pop up if the data
entry does not conform with the validation.

"Anders" wrote in message

How can i get excel to show requirement for validation?

For example I want people to type in a text max 15 characters, but I want
them to be able to see how many characters they can type. For example the
cell can show XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX and as they start filling it in they swap
the X
for their own words.

I know I can do validation max 15 character length but then they get a
error
box and need to keep taking away characters untill they get below 15. Its
better if they can see it straight away, how many to fill inn.

--
Regards Anders