Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default needed formula

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 16:25:02 -0800 (PST), Mikey
wrote:

I have a cell containing a string of text, we'll call it cell A1.
I need to put a formula in C1 that will search for only a part of the
text in A1 and, if found, will return the value in B1, or, if not
found, will return a value of zero (0).

I've tried SEARCH in combination with IF, but, if not found, keeps
returning the #VALUE! error symbol, which SEARCH does so if the string
of text is not found.

It would be used in my electronic checkbooks. Look for a part of the
text such as "Exxon" in the check or transaction description and, if
found, return the amount of the transaction in a new cell to be
further itemized.

Don't know what else to try.

-Mike

Sorry, I misread. Try this instead: