Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default Calculating Percentages in Excel

Hi,

Your column formatting got a bit mixed up when pasted in but if you want to
reduce a value by (say) 15% use this formula

=A2*(1-0.15)

Where A2 is the value you want to reduce
Simply change the 0.15 to reduce by other amounts.

Mike

" wrote:

Hi

I have three columns as below

Unit Price ABC Company
Price EFG Company Price
Not Known 40%
discount 30% Discount
Not Known 20%
discount 30% Discount

I am getting a little confused because there seems to be in the Excel
help file different ways to calculate, and I keep getting different
answers!

I need to work out firstly what the Unit price is, and I need to work
it out from the discount given to EFG Company (ie 30%). From that,
once I work out the Unit Price I can work out what I will be selling
my goods at to ABC Company.

My problem is, I have never been good with maths and have been told
that just putting on 30% will not give me a correct answer, I should
use a decimal point ie 0.50 (which I think is 50%) or 0.70 for 30%.
Can someone help me here as I have messed about with this all morning
and got nowhere fast

Thanks