Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PaulH PaulH is offline

Default How to make columns based on repeated rows??

You might take a look at Excel's pivot tables. This sounds like a natural
application for them.

"oli merge" wrote:

Hi,

Thats not quite what i wanted to do: I have no control over the format the
file is sent to me in and its a single file. I need just need to reformat it
so that its stored as a proper table rather than a list of orders if you
follow me.

"oli merge" wrote:

I have regular order files come in where each product/ customer has one line.
for example, if a customer ordered 3 products then the would have three lines
in the order file, one for each product with repeated address information
across the 3 lines.

I am currently manually changing this so each customer has a single line and
each product in a seperate column (actually 3 columns product ID, product
desc, qty). SO to do this I subtotal the customers and add 3 times the amount
of columns the customer with the largest amount of products will require.

I then have to cut and paste the respective product IDs, product Desc and
qtys into the seperate columns and delete the duplicate lines.

How can I do this programattically? I am thinking about using Access
although am more familiar with Excel...

Thanks