Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Fundman Fundman is offline

Default Help with Cell fornula or format

Works now...Thanks Max

"Max" wrote:

I'm not sure what's happening over there ..

Perhaps a working sample
to illustrate the earlier suggestion would be good?:

http://cjoint.com/?mqxdgOOOpw
Vlookup_example.xls

The suggested expression:
=IF(A1="","",VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet1!A:B,2,0))

presumes that your source data/table is in Sheet1's col A and B
and your lookup values in Sheet2 starts in A1 down

The front IF part of the expression: =IF(A1="","", ..
is simply to check whether the lookup col A is "blank"
If it is, then the expression will return neat looking blanks: ""
So the formula could be copied down beyond existing data in col A (beyond
the last data row in col A) to cater for future data entries
--
Max
Singapore
"Fundman" wrote:
Max-

When I inserted the formula you suggested I got FALSE each time. Perhaps I
don't understand what needs to be input in the quotes for the first part of
the argument A1="",""

However, when I move the sheet 1 legend (columns a and b or a total of 6
cells) into bottom of Sheet 2 and just use the function
VLOOKUP ($E39,$E39:$F41,2,0) it seems to
produce the correct text in column b for each of the 3 arguments. ..Any final
thoughts? Thanks again..