Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
NeSchw6G NeSchw6G is offline

Default assign file numbers to names

It worked! Thank you!

"Flick Olmsford" wrote:

Try this:

Say you have the list feeding the drop down in A5:A7 and the manager file
numbers in B5:B7

In column D put the drop down list letting the users pick the manager
In column E, next to the managers name, put the following formula

=IF(ISBLANK(D5),"",VLOOKUP(D5,$A$5:$B$7,2,FALSE))

The ISBLANK function is used to prevent error indicators from appearing when
a cell in column D is empty

Perhaps add protection for the data in column E

"NeSchw6G" wrote:

There are about 500 managers, when I choose a manager's name from a drop down
(in a form) I want excel to insert the manager's file number in an adjacent
cell.

i.e. Joe Button - 1875
Sally Field - 1745
Carl Redding - 1590