Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Alan Smith Alan Smith is offline

Default Excel 2007 - Calculation Problems

Sorry guys, been too busy to check in for a few days.

Regarding the circulars, everytime I have encountered one in XL I get the
help box and see the notification in the status bar. I am assuming no news is
good news here.

My guess now is that the inherent volatility of using so many functions in
1.25 million cells is causing some issues, though I would have thought that
designing a worksheet with 16 billion cells would mean one could use them all
if needed?

Alan

"Dave F" wrote:

Yes, but the poster is using XL 2007. Your support link applies to
other versions.

XL 2007 has a much higher dependency limit.

As to the original poster: how do you know that you do not have any
circular references? There is no pop up alert indicating such. When
I intentionally create a circular reference (using XL 03) the only
indication I get is the Calculate message in the status bar.

I don't have access to XL 07 right now, but I suspect that is your
issue as well. Maybe test this theory by opening up a new XL 07
workbook, intentionally create a circular reference, and see what
happens?

Dave

On Dec 12, 4:17 pm, "Jim Rech" wrote:
That's one thing but not the only thing.

This is the issue I had in mine:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243495

--
Jim"Dave F" wrote in message

| In previous versions of Excel "Calculate" in the status bar indicated
| a circular reference somewhere.
|
| On Dec 12, 1:19 pm, "Jim Rech" wrote:
| With 1700 columns I think you're in the new format.<g
|
| If calculations are sufficiently complicated or numerous Excel stops
trying
| to do an intelligent calculation (just the cells that have changed) and
| instead just calcs the entire workbook. That's because the time saved
in
| the calc is less than the time it takes to keep track of dependencies.
If
| you've reached that point the Calc message is permanent I believe.
|
| --
| Jim"Alan Smith" wrote in message

| | Hi all,
| |
| | I am using Excel 2007, and have a large file (11MB) that is giving me
| | problems. The file is used to forecast revenue opportunities for a 4
year
| | period, and then calculate the recognized revenue based on the timing
of
| | deals, revenue type etc. and is approxiamately 735 rows by 1700
columns.
| |
| | Within the worksheet are many formulas, using various combinations of
SUM,
| | VLOOKUP, SUMPRODUCT, OFFSET, SUBTOTAL, SUMIF, INDEX, COUNTA, MIN and
| probably
| | a couple more, but there are no errors in the worksheet.
| |
| | Despite constantly checking the settings (Automatic, no iterations),
| and/or
| | hitting F9 (which doesn't work, btw), I have a "Calculate" message in
the
| | status bar. I believe the previous 65536 limits were removed in 2007,
so
| that
| | should not be an issue. Is there something else causing a problem? Any
| ideas?
| |
| | Thanks,
| |