Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Counting Inbetween Spaces

One way...

This requires that the cell immediately above the data is empty and the next
cell after the last entry is empty. So,assuming your data starts in cell A2
with cell A1 being empty.

Enter this formula in B2 and copy down as needed:

=IF(A2="","",IF(A3="",COUNT(A2:INDEX(A$1:A1,LOOKUP (2,1/(A$1:A1=""),ROW(A$1:A1)))),""))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Peter" wrote in message
If I have a column that likes like this:

5
5
6
2 4

2
3
2 3

1 1

2
3
1 3

I want to count each the number of items in each group and have it
show up next to it's group as in the example. I assume it's some kind
of array formula similar to summing the numbers in each group.

Thanks very much for all of the help. I really do appreciate it.
This is great group.