Ron Rosenfeld

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:45:02 -0800, "Vicki"
wrote:

I have two spreadsheet which I would like to compare. One has numeric data,
the other has the same data but the references codes have been entered as
alpha. Does anyone know how this can be converted to numeric?

Many thanks for your help.

If I understand you correctly:

Information that looks like a number but is really TEXT can be changed to a
number by performing some kind of arithmetic operation.

So, for a comparison, if the numeric data is in A1 and the TEXT data is in B1,
and both of them are 12345; the formula:

=A1=B1 :FALSE
=A1=--B1 :TRUE

The double unary preceding B1 forces Excel to convert it to a number.

--ron