Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Rech[_2_] Jim Rech[_2_] is offline

Default Excel 2007 - Calculation Problems

You're right. Charles got his information from Dave Gainer's blog which I
searched yesterday to find something on this and failed. But there it is.
http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/...26/474258.aspx

So there is a higher dependency limit but I suppose Alan could still have
hit it. And since he's certain there are no circs (Excel 2007 will say
"Circular Reference" in the status bar) I don't know why else Calculate is
always on. Me not knowing something doesn't prove much as we've seen
though<g. He has some volatile functions, I wonder if that factors in? I
guess I'd have to see the workbook.

--
Jim
"Dave F" wrote in message
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting the data at this link,
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa730921.aspx , but it seems
that it makes reference to increased dependency limits.

Dave

On Dec 13, 9:43 am, "Jim Rech" wrote:
XL 2007 has a much higher dependency limit.

Really? Where did you read that? I trust you're not confusing that with
some other increase in Excel limits. This is not a limit that was
arbitrarily imposed like so many others. There is a real tradeoff
between
time spend keeping track of dependencies and time calcing. Just
increasing
memory limits isn't the issue.

Still you might be right. But where did you read it?

When I intentionally create a circular reference (using XL 03) the
only
indication I get is the Calculate message in the status bar.

You must have killed the Circ toolbar by closing it manually. Delete
delete/rename you XLB file with Excel closed and it will be back with
your
first calc after creating a circ.

--
Jim"Dave F" wrote in message

Yes, but the poster is using XL 2007. Your support link applies to
other versions.

XL 2007 has a much higher dependency limit.

As to the original poster: how do you know that you do not have any
circular references? There is no pop up alert indicating such. When
I intentionally create a circular reference (using XL 03) the only
indication I get is the Calculate message in the status bar.

I don't have access to XL 07 right now, but I suspect that is your
issue as well. Maybe test this theory by opening up a new XL 07
workbook, intentionally create a circular reference, and see what
happens?

Dave

On Dec 12, 4:17 pm, "Jim Rech" wrote:
That's one thing but not the only thing.

This is the issue I had in mine:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243495

--
Jim"Dave F" wrote in message

| In previous versions of Excel "Calculate" in the status bar
indicated
| a circular reference somewhere.
|
| On Dec 12, 1:19 pm, "Jim Rech" wrote:
| With 1700 columns I think you're in the new format.<g
|
| If calculations are sufficiently complicated or numerous Excel
stops
trying
| to do an intelligent calculation (just the cells that have
changed)
and
| instead just calcs the entire workbook. That's because the time
saved
in
| the calc is less than the time it takes to keep track of
dependencies.
If
| you've reached that point the Calc message is permanent I believe.
|
| --
| Jim"Alan Smith" wrote in
message

| | Hi all,
| |
| | I am using Excel 2007, and have a large file (11MB) that is
giving
me
| | problems. The file is used to forecast revenue opportunities for
4
year
| | period, and then calculate the recognized revenue based on the
timing
of
| | deals, revenue type etc. and is approxiamately 735 rows by 1700
columns.
| |
| | Within the worksheet are many formulas, using various
combinations
of
SUM,
| | VLOOKUP, SUMPRODUCT, OFFSET, SUBTOTAL, SUMIF, INDEX, COUNTA, MIN
and
| probably
| | a couple more, but there are no errors in the worksheet.
| |
| | Despite constantly checking the settings (Automatic, no
iterations),
| and/or
| | hitting F9 (which doesn't work, btw), I have a "Calculate"
message
in
the
| | status bar. I believe the previous 65536 limits were removed in
2007,
so
| that
| | should not be an issue. Is there something else causing a
problem?
Any
| ideas?
| |