Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Rech[_2_] Jim Rech[_2_] is offline

Default Excel 2007 - Calculation Problems

the fact that it has crashed Excel 6 times since yesterday would lend some
weight to this theory

Oh, yeah!<g.

Have you gotten SP1 yet? Can't hurt (I hope).

--
Jim
"Alan Smith" wrote in message
Thanks for the comments so far. To respond to the questions:

1. Circular references - I don't get any notification or see any
indication
that this is the problem.
2. Calc time - I thought removing the limits in 2007 effectively
neutralized
the impact of dependencies? Regardless, even trying to recalculate the
sheet
is a problem, as F9 seems to have provide no response.

I had no such problems with the file a few days ago, so it is possible it
has become corrupt (the fact that it has crashed Excel 6 times since
yesterday would lend some weight to this theory), but I just wanted to see
if
there was something unusual I was unaware of before I started a rebuild.

Thanks for the assistance guys, but I think I have some work ahead of me
:-(

Alan

"Dave F" wrote:

In previous versions of Excel "Calculate" in the status bar indicated
a circular reference somewhere.

On Dec 12, 1:19 pm, "Jim Rech" wrote:
With 1700 columns I think you're in the new format.<g

If calculations are sufficiently complicated or numerous Excel stops
trying
to do an intelligent calculation (just the cells that have changed) and
instead just calcs the entire workbook. That's because the time saved
in
the calc is less than the time it takes to keep track of dependencies.
If
you've reached that point the Calc message is permanent I believe.

--
Jim"Alan Smith" wrote in message

| Hi all,
|
| I am using Excel 2007, and have a large file (11MB) that is giving me
| problems. The file is used to forecast revenue opportunities for a 4
year
| period, and then calculate the recognized revenue based on the timing
of
| deals, revenue type etc. and is approxiamately 735 rows by 1700
columns.

| Within the worksheet are many formulas, using various combinations of
SUM,
| VLOOKUP, SUMPRODUCT, OFFSET, SUBTOTAL, SUMIF, INDEX, COUNTA, MIN and
probably
| a couple more, but there are no errors in the worksheet.
|
| Despite constantly checking the settings (Automatic, no iterations),
and/or
| hitting F9 (which doesn't work, btw), I have a "Calculate" message in
the
| status bar. I believe the previous 65536 limits were removed in 2007,
so
that
| should not be an issue. Is there something else causing a problem?
Any
ideas?