Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier Jon Peltier is offline

Default Is this bug in Excel 2007 charts?

I've been too busy to look.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Intuitive Analyst" wrote in
message ...
Did you have any luck reproducing this bug? Thanks in advance!

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

I've seen similar problems with charts that rely on names as their source
data. I'll play with it, and if I replicate the behavior I'll file it as
bug.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Intuitive Analyst" wrote in
message ...
This is a problem with "dynamic charts" that occurs in Excel 2007 but
not
in
Excel 2003. Create a SS in Excel 2007 with two worksheets. On the
first
sheet, enter a column of data (a few rows' worth is enough). On the
other
sheet, define a single-cell named range "years". Now go back to the
first
sheet, and define a named range calling it, say, "data" as
=OFFSET($B$5,0,0,years,1) (where $B$5 is the first cell of data
entered,
of
course). Now create a "dynamic" column chart from that data range by
creating
a chart from the column of data then changing the series data to refer
the
range "data". Play with the "years" number to see that indeed you have
dynamic chart in hand. Save the spreadsheet. Close it. Re-open and
check
the
data source of the chart series. It will read "=[0]!data" instead of
"=Sheet1!data".

The problem above is not an issue if the "years" range is on the same
sheet
as the data. However, in my app, I have several dynamic charts of the
same
dynamic size (not coincidentally, number of years is the parameter)
with
data
coming from several different sheets. I have an inelegant possible
work-around in mind but would really appreciate the comments and/or
suggestions from the users of this discussion board. Thanks in
advance!