Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JE McGimpsey JE McGimpsey is offline

Default Hyperlink Error in Excel when using #

Depends on what you're trying to do - you can use Workbooks.Open if the
file is an XL Workbook. There are various ways to open text files or
other Office document types.

Your example doesn't really specify.

OTOH, I'd really suggest avoiding reserved URI characters in file
paths...

In article ,
CerealKiller wrote:

THX, but that is a little depressing.

Is there any alternative to hyperlink when using macros?
Something like FILE in http.

THX again

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

I'm surprised that # would work anywhere within a file path...

The octothorpe is a reserved character in URIs, indicating a fragment
identifier follows. As in:

Ref: http://rfc.net/std0066.html#s3.5.

In article ,
CerealKiller wrote:

I've been working on a macro in Excel that creates hyperlinks to files in
folder. The macro works fine, but I found that Excel can't manage
hyperlinks
when the folder name begins with"#" and it's located in the root
directory.
Something like this

"D:\# DBs Nielsen"

would cause Excel to generate an invalid hyperlink.
I've checked and it's not a macro bug, Excel can't seem to work with that

character.

Anyone knows how to fix this? I really would like to solve this without
changing the folder name as it's a shared server folder.