Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Hyperlink Error in Excel when using #

You could open the file directly:

Option Explicit
Sub testme()
Dim wkbk As Workbook

Set wkbk = Nothing
On Error Resume Next
Set wkbk = Workbooks.Open("d:\# DBs Nielsen.xls")
On Error GoTo 0

If wkbk Is Nothing Then
Beep
MsgBox "not found"

CerealKiller wrote:

THX, but that is a little depressing.

Is there any alternative to hyperlink when using macros?
Something like FILE in http.

THX again

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

I'm surprised that # would work anywhere within a file path...

The octothorpe is a reserved character in URIs, indicating a fragment
identifier follows. As in:

Ref: http://rfc.net/std0066.html#s3.5.

In article ,
CerealKiller wrote:

I've been working on a macro in Excel that creates hyperlinks to files in a
folder. The macro works fine, but I found that Excel can't manage hyperlinks
when the folder name begins with"#" and it's located in the root directory.
Something like this

"D:\# DBs Nielsen"

would cause Excel to generate an invalid hyperlink.
I've checked and it's not a macro bug, Excel can't seem to work with that
character.

Anyone knows how to fix this? I really would like to solve this without
changing the folder name as it's a shared server folder.

--

Dave Peterson