Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
andy62 andy62 is offline

Default Extract uniques from filtered range

Hi Herbert - Thanks for the response. I don't have much experience with
Pivot Tables, but in trying to implement your solution I'm wondering if it'll
work in my situation. The range I am trying to extract from is already
filtered using some other columns (business unit, location, department,
etc.). The remaining "duplicates" are multiples instances of survey
comments. I don't want to access any of the data that is already hidden by
the filter. Will this still work?

"Herbert Seidenberg" wrote:

This will get you part of the results, using Pivot Table.
The Rank numbers are not used.
Here is the data I used:

Comnt Freq
Info 2
GoodS 3
OJT 2
GoodE 1
Motiv 1
GoodS 3
GoodS 3
OJT 2
Info 2

Data Pivot Table Multiple Consoldation Ranges
Range: Select the 10 x 2 array shown above.
Layout: DATA = Count of Value
Double click on Row button
Advanced: AutoSort Descending
using field Count of Value
AutoShow ON Top 3
The result will look like this:

Row Freq
GoodS 3
OJT 2
Info 2

Rank of the items is implied by their position.