Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier[_3_] Roger Govier[_3_] is offline

Default 39,330 = 9/5

Hi

The problem is that Excel is seeing these as dates.
9/2 is 02 Sep and it is showing as the serial number of the date 39327

It would need to be =9/2 for Excel to interpret it in the way that you wish.
If you made the column a Text column, before copying data to it, then it
should come through as '9/2 and display as 9/2.

You can convert this to 4.5 if you do the following.
Suppose the column with the data is column C, and that column D is blank.
InsertNameDefine Name Evaluate Refers to =EVALUATE($C1)

In D1 enter =Evaluate and copy down.
Then copy column Dplace cursor on C1Paste SpecialValues to fix the data.
Column D can then be deleted

--

Regards
Roger Govier

"Peter" wrote in message
I copy a page from the Internet into my spread sheet. It's a table
and everything transposes OK, except fractions like 9/5. In my
spreadsheet it reads 39,330. Only the fractions do this. Here are
some others:

9/2 = 4.5 = 39,327
7/2 = 3.5 = 39,265
5/2 = 2.5 = 39,204
9/5 = 1.8 = 39,330
8/5 = 1.6 = 39,299
3/2 = 1.5 =
7/5 = 1.4 =
6/5 = 1.2 =
4/5 = 0.8 =
3/5 = 0.6 =
0 = 0.4 =

I don't have them all yet, but I'm sure there is a mathematical
corelation. As soon as I see the rest of them I'll have them. The
frist column is how they look when I copy them. The second column is
how I want them to look, and the third column is how they show up.

Anyway, when I paste them into my spreadsheet how can I make them show
up as 4.5, 3.5, 2.5, etc?

Thank you