Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Conditional formatting for rows

Highlight row 2 by clicking on the row identifier, then click on
Format | Conditional formatting, select Formula Is rather than Cell
Value Is and enter this formula:

=ISNUMBER(SEARCH("visa",$G2))

Then click on the Format button, select the Patterns tab and choose
your background colour. OK your way out. With row2 still highlighted,
double-click the Format Painter icon, then click in A3, A4, A5 etc for
all the rows that you want this effect to apply to - press <Esc when
you are done.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Dec 7, 8:06 pm, ExcelObsessed
wrote:
Thank you, but I'm asking specifically about conditional formatting. So,
going into format -- conditional formatting, I need to enter a formula to
automatically highlight the entire row rather than just the individual cell.
Thoughts? Thanks again!

"Luke M" wrote:
Formula is: =IF($G1="visa",true,false)
Do this somewhere in row 1, then copy the format everywhere you need it. The
$ sign locks the formula on column G, while the row number is floating.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"ExcelObsessed" wrote:

I'm familiar with conditional formatting, but cannot figure out the formula
to highlight an entire row based on the contents in one cell. For example,
for every cell in column G that contains the word "visa", I would like that
entire corresponding row to be highlighted. Can anyone tell me the formula?
Thanks!- Hide quoted text -