Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ravi Ravi is offline

Default Count

Mike,
the numbers given are very much in number format. I want to know what I
should mention in place of ''--'' [ ( SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A999B1:B999))].

"Mike H" wrote:

Ravi,

The formula as given to you works fine and returns 5 for this set of data.
If you aren't getting that answer then I suspect its because your numbers
aren't really numbers and are probably text.

Put this in a cell
=ISNUMBER(A1)

It will return TRUE if A1 actually contains a number. If it soesn't then you
must investigate why your numbers are text.

Mike
"Ravi" wrote:

I was given the following answer,=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A999B1:B999)) , for the
question, and for this I have got the answer as zero, please find the
example below. Anyhow I didn't understood the two ' -' mentioned in the
answer.

A B
78 791
98 1384
357978 1534
31 31857
751 316
364987 3165
35 357
323 157
47 31

Ravi" wrote in message
I am trying to count how many times the value in Col A has exceeded the
value
in Col B in a given range, How to get this

One way (adjust range lenth to suit):
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A999B1:B999))

"Ravi" wrote:

Earlier I have asked a question whether we can find the count of number of
times the value increased Col A when compared to Col B in a given range, the
answer given did not work