Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bakerman bakerman is offline

Default Removing duplicates from a list of addresses

I have a database of 6000+ addresses that includes many duplicates. I need
to delete the duplicates. The problem is the addresses weren't entered with
common formatting (Road vs. Rd, Lane vs. Ln, (555) 555-5555 vs. 555-555-5555)
which throws off excel's function for scanning and removing duplicates. The
silver lining is one column does contain a standard identifying digit that
would be the same no matter how the address, phone number, zip code or
contact name was entered. How do I remove the duplicate rows using just that
one column of data as the criteria?