Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
TomL77 TomL77 is offline

Default Specific formula query

Ah, perhaps I'm attempting something that can't be done?

Basically I want cell X to recognise when the value in cell Y shows any
value in the range 0-16 (and show 1 as a result) AND recognise when it shows
any value from 16-32 (and show 2 as a result) AND recognise when it shows any
value from 32-48 (and show 3 as a result) and so on...

Any clearer? Sorry...

"Pete_UK" wrote:

Yes, well put different values in X and see what you get out of the
formula!

I don't understand how you can have the

...."value in cell X is 16 or less ... AND if value in cell X is more
than 16 ..."

at the same time. Are you refering to a range of cells, eg from A1 to
A10, and so you could have different values in some of those cells?

What is the cell reference of cell X and cell Y ?

Pete

On Dec 5, 7:36 pm, TomL77 wrote:
Cheers Pete, that's a start but I should have been more specific:

If value in cell X is 16 or less, I want cell Y to show value "1" AND if
value in cell X is more than 16, but less than or equal to 32, I want cell Y
to show value "2"
AND if value in cell X is more than 32, but less than or equal to 48, I want
cell Y to show value "3", and so on...

(Cell X being the same cell on the same spreadsheet all the way through)

Does this clarify?

"Pete_UK" wrote:
Here's one way of doing it:

=INT(CEILING(X,16)/16)

Put the formula in your Y cell, changing X to an appropriate cell
reference.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Dec 5, 7:15 pm, TomL77 wrote:
Excel 2003

I want a cell to show a different value depending on whether another cell
shows less than, equal to, or more than a range of values. For example:

If value in cell X is 16 or less, I want cell Y to show 1
If value in cell X is more than 16, but less than or equal to 32, I want
cell Y to show 2
If value in cell X is more than 32, but less than or equal to 48, I want
cell Y to show 3
And so on...
Help please, can't seem to create the right syntax to make this happen...
Thanks- Hide quoted text -