Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
kleivakat kleivakat is offline

Default Rounding Problem

Thanks to both of you. I got it to work by adding a ROUND function to the
cell. That took care of my immediate problem.

If I change the calculation preferences in tools/options/calculations, will
that change them in all worksheets whenever they are opened, or only in newly
created worksheets. I'm hesitating to change it (although I thiink it will
be the best long-term solution and I can't think when I might run into a
problem by making the change) but don't want to mess up current spreadsheets
if they will change whey I re-open them.

"kleivakat" wrote:

I have several formulas that are contributing to a final price for an item.
The result of last formula is that 2 x $610.60 = $1,220.21, and I can't find
the error. There is one related cell that uses the ROUND function, and I
wonder if that is contributing to the error. The contents of the related
cells a

=ROUND(IF(M880,K88*(1+M88),0),2)+N88

where M88 is a percentage mark-up (11.0% formatted as a percentage with 2
decimal points.)
where K88 is =SUM(I88:J88) - I88 and J88 are both numeric values
where N88 is a numeric value

I have a feeling that somewhere in one of my formulas there is a number
that's reading many more decimals that two, therefore 610.60 x 2 is larger
than 1,220.20. I checked all cells, and none have more than 2 decimals.

Any ideas where I'm getting the extra penny from?