Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
andy62 andy62 is offline

Default Data Validation source = destination?

A regular, everyday validation list range which includes a blank cell would
enable a user to either select from the drop-down or create a new item not
already on the list.

"Stephen" wrote:

"andy62" wrote in message
I don't know if this is possible:

I would like apply data validation to a range (single column) so that the
items in the drop-down list are generated from any items already entered
into
that same range. Kind of like "type ahead" except with data validation.
So
upon first use the drop-down shows no data, but then after the first entry
into that range, that entry becomes available in the drop-down, after two
entries they are both available in the drop-down, etc. BUT the items in
the
drop-down should be unique: if I have entered (selected) the same text 50
times, I only want it once in the drop-down. Is that possible - without
being too complicated?

TIA.

As it's data VALIDATION, how do you think you could ever enter anything in
the first place? If (to start with) there are no entries in the validation
list, you can't enter anything!