Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sandy Mann Sandy Mann is offline

Default Replace Macro

Thank you for confirming it Bob. Just when I begin to think that I am
getting a handle on this thing.............

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
That's odd Sandy.I can confirm it also happens in 2003 and 2007.

--
---
HTH

Bob

addy)

"Sandy Mann" wrote in message
Using XL97.

If I enter 8:00 in A1, (formatted as h:mm), and then record a macro to
select A1 and replace a space with nothing, XL rightly tells me that if
cannot find any matching data to replace. However, if I then run the
macro that was recorded, (below), it changes the entry in A1 to 8:00:00AM
ie it removes the space between the 00 and the AM as if the entry had
been 8:00:00 AM

Two questions:
1. I thought that formatting was just a mask over the *real* data in the
cell which is what is displayed in General format. If that is the case
then A1 would have held 0.33333333333333, so why does the VBA Replace
find a space? I suppose that the *Replace* in VBA is not the same
*Replace* as the one on the Edit menu but surely the data is
0.33333333333333 not a text 8:00:00 AM.

Sub Macro1()
Range("A1").Select
Cells.Replace What:=" ", Replacement:="", LookAt:=xlPart,
SearchOrder:= _
xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
End Sub

(I know that if I change it to LookAt:=xlWhole then it will not replace
the space but I can't understand how it happens in VBA but not manually.)

2. Does this just happen in XL97 or all versions?