Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Cateyes0122 Cateyes0122 is offline

Default IF Function

Thank you so much that worked. I am now trying to take the same type of
table, numbers in column A and names in column B on a second sheet. In F5 i
am wanting to reference the result i just used from the Vlookup which is a
name(in column B) and need to put the number in column A. Can maybe you help
with this also.

Thanks ever so much

"Jean-Guy" wrote:

Hi,

You might want to try a VLOOKUP function, something like this:

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$100,2,0)
and in case a value is not found you can add an error trap to the formula:

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$100,2,0)),"N ot
found",VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$100,2,0))

type what you want to return inside the quotes in case a value is not found,
usually people will either use the double quotes alone "" or 0.

HTH
Jean-Guy

"Cateyes0122" wrote:

I am trying to figure out how to be able to enter a number from 1 to 43 (i.e.
C1 i type 10)in a column and have the formula in D1 with a condition if the
number in C1 matches the same number in a range name on a different sheet put
what is in the next cell (i.e. I have a chart on another sheet, so in A1 if
have the number 10 and in B1 I have the word "Sam" I want Sam to put put in
D1 where the formulas is ) This must be possible. Need major help